Thousands of additional US troops heading to Middle East after Soleimani strikes

By halima at 2020-01-04 • 0 collector • 134 pageviews

The United States is sending nearly 3,000 additional troops to the middle east from the 82nd airborne division as a precaution amid rising threats to American forces in the region.

Iran promised vengeance after a U.S air strike in Baghdad on friday killed Qassem Soleimani, Tehran's most prominent military commander and the architect of its growing influence in the middle east.

The overnight attack, authorized by president Donald Trump, was a dramatic escalation in a "shadow war" in the middle east between Iran and the United States and its allies.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the troops would be joining the roughly 750 forces that were sent to Kuwait earlier this week. President Donald Trump said on Friday he ordered the killing of Qassem Soleimani to stop a war, not start one, saying the Iranian military commander was plainning imminent attacks on Americans.

Soleimani was plotting imminent and sinister attacks on American diplomats and military personnel but we caught him in the act and terminated him. We took action last night to stop a war. We did not take action to start a war. " Trump said adding that the United States does not seek regime change in Iran."

Requires Login

Loading...